By hanging signs, we generally refer to a type of flag signs or banners suspended from a support that is generally perpendicular to the façade in the case of exterior signs. However, they are also called that way because these hang from the ceiling indoors and outdoors (for example, in the hollow of the façade).
It is the suspension that differentiates the hanging flag signs from the fixed signs: they are anchored directly to the façade, but both are usually used for the same purpose: to accompany the main signs of a business and thus give it more visibility and notoriety, by being able to be seen from various street perspectives.
They are very common in vintage restaurants, bars and cafes, in materials such
as canvas or wood, although they can also be made of methacrylate, aluminum, PVC or steel, labeled on vinyl, digitally printed or engraved, generally on two sides.
In this post, we will talk about the advantages of hanging signs and their specifications.
· Benefits Of Hanging Signs
The hanging signs are the perfect complement to the labeling of our business. If we have doubts about whether or not to put a hanging sign on the outside of the façade, we can take a look at 5 benefits that will help us make up our minds.
· Good Visibility
By being placed perpendicular to the façade, hanging flag signs, especially when combined with another flat sign on the façade, allow our business to be seen in two directions and in all possible directions from a long distance the need to approach the premises.
One of the advantages of hanging signs, whether they are flags or hang from the hole in the façade or the ceiling, is that they allow great customization of both materials (aluminum, wood, methacrylate, PVC …) and shapes (circular, rectangular, square, shaped like glasses for opticians or ice cream in ice cream parlors, etc.). In this way, they allow great creativity to differentiate themselves from the rest.
· More Brand Awareness
The hanging signs provide extra notoriety since, by being attached to the front sign, they enhance the promotion and awareness of the business, reiterating the message or logo in a triple way: the two sides of the hanging sign and the face of the front sign, which can also be a pendant.
Unlike other signs, hanging signs are cheaper since they are usually made with materials that present a low cost, such as PVC or methacrylate, compared to other signs with a similar function.
The 4 previous benefits are shared with the fixed flag signs, but there is an advantage of the hanging signs over the fixed ones. Since they can be easily put on and taken off, they can be replaced more easily if you want to change, without having to disassemble them, just taking down the part of the sign and leaving the support.
· Illuminated Hanging Signs
If you want 24-hour visibility, to enhance notoriety and above all to differentiate yourself from the surrounding businesses, especially those that use signs without light, is to illuminate the hanging signs. The most recommended alternative and increasingly used today is LED lighting, since it offers multiple advantages such as:
- Less consumption, more eco-efficient. They allow an economical energy saving, reduce the electricity bill and require less maintenance. LED lighting uses 95% of the energy to generate light, and only 5% is wasted, transforming into heat.
- Without toxic elements. Unlike other more traditional lights, such as fluorescent ones, LED lights do not contain toxic elements such as mercury, with known harmful effects on health and the environment.
- Longer shelf life. LED bulbs last 4-6 times longer than fluorescent or typical bulbs, reducing the number of replacements needed. The LED is ideal for businesses that need long hours of illumination since it offers intense and prolonged light.
- Great variety. Not all LED systems are the same. There are many options to choose from when it comes to color and power: warm light systems or cold light and brighter light, or a more natural LED. There is even imitation of neon and others.
· Hanging Sign Materials
It is as important to choose the color, design and shape of the sign as the material with which it will be manufactured. In fact, the material and its support will determine the price and durability of the sign.
One of the main attractions of hanging signs is their multiple material options. Here we leave the main and most used:
- Hanging aluminum signs. Undoubtedly, aluminum is one of the materials that have a long useful life since they are very resistant and rigid. They are also characterized by being very light (they have very little weight), so they are easy to assemble and place and do not need heavy anchors, which is ideal for hanging signs. This type of label is very versatile, allowing any size, typeface, shape, finish or color. Even if desired, they can be illuminated or not illuminated.
- Hanging wooden signs. This sign gives a feeling of antiquity and robustness and generates an image of experience and durability to the business. In addition, wood gives the feeling of a cozy and relaxing space, very appropriate for yoga centers, vintage cafes, bakeries, casual clothing stores, herbalists or organic product stores. They need treatments to resist the sun and humidity, but they are very durable signs in general.
- Hanging methacrylate signs. Methacrylate is a very durable plastic material (resistant to scratches and breakage and inclement weather) that is used as an alternative to glass due to its transparency and smooth finish. They are usually very striking since they are usually brightly colored or present a great contrast to the color of the surface where they are placed.
- Hanging PVC signs. This type of label is very resistant, even to adverse weather conditions (water and high temperatures) and does not wear out or tear easily. They can also be illuminated since they allow installing a frontal lighting system, in halo or inside. Canvases are included in PVC, which are an inexpensive and very versatile material since they can be adapted to any shape, typeface or size.
· Hanging Sign Holders
Hanging signs can be anchored in many different ways, to the wall or ceiling, using a pole and support such as a chain, a cable or even a rope in most vintage cases. For example, wrought iron brackets with filigrees that evoke ancient times are very fashionable.
· Hanging Signs Regulations
Although we see them everywhere, hanging signs, especially flag signs, require compliance with specific regulations depending on the municipality where they are to be placed since they generate an impact on the visibility of the urban landscape. In the case of Chicago, they must be fixed directly on the façade, without anchors or mechanisms in sight, and perpendicular to it, within the ground floor area and close to the access to the premises. They must leave a distance below for the step of 2.20m. As regards the measurements, for streets up to 10m, they must be 0.30m2 with a maximum overhang of 60 cm. For streets of more than 10m, they can be 0.42m2 with a maximum overhang of 70 cm.
In general terms, only hanging flag signs are allowed in pharmacy establishments, hotels, public parking lots and ATMs. That is why it is advisable to go to professionals such as SignFreaks. They provide advice on the suitability and legality of each type of sign and offer the most appropriate alternatives for each case. If you need their assistance, get in touch with SignFreaks – Signage Company in Chicago.